Saturday 22 June 2013

The Passing Away of Swami Tattwajnanananda popularly known as Hemanta Maharaj

Swami Tattwajnanananda who was popularly known as Hemanta Maharaj of Ramakrishna Mission Belur Math  passed away on 10 June 2013 at 12.25pm at Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratishthan at Kolkata.

He was seriously injured in a road accident when his car collided with a lorry on 17 February 2013. He was admitted to Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratishthan at Kolkata and was in a state of coma ever since.


He was the Principal of Ramakrishna Mission Shilpamandira Belur Math and Ramakrishna Mission Shilpamandira Computer Centre.


He was originally from Maharastra and was an architect by profession. After completing his graduation in Architecture from India he went to USA for higher studies. He did his Masters in Architecture from one of the prominent universities of USA. After he completed his studies he started his professional life in USA.and was successful.


He came in touch with Ramakrishna Mission during his studies.He finally left his professional life and family to become a monk of Ramakrishna Mission and returned back to India.


It was an autumn afternoon more than 25 years ago I first saw Hemanta Maharaj. One of my friends was 
 a student of Ramakrishna Mission Shilpamandira and he told me about Hemanta Maharaj.



I have always respected Ramakrishna and Vivekananda and visited Belur Math with my grandmother.Hence I became very interested to meet him when I heard about the various development works he had initiated at Shilpamandira.

When I first met him he was still a brahmachary. He was then known as Brahmachary Hemanta.


It was afternoon and after reaching Belur I and my friend went to the room within the monk's quarters where he used to live. My friend knocked at the door of his room and he opened the door with a face full of smile. My friend introduced me to him and he asked us to get inside his room. From the very first moment he spoke as he knew me for a very long time. He was extremely friendly. There was no ego within him though he was from a very established family and was highly educated and was highly placed himself before he became a monk.


After I first met him I could never forget him. I could not visit him personally always. But I used to keep in touch with him through telephone and letters.

After I met him and talked with him I slowly developed interest in Puranas and Vedanta.

Hemanta Maharaj told me to to read some short abridged books regarding Vedantas and Puranas as he was quite sure that I would be lost if I tried to read the original books.

Hemanta Maharaj was extremely broadminded. He never judged anyone who came near him on basis of education or family background or religion or money.

He always advised students to follow the path shown by Swami Vivekananda.

Personally to me he was a pillar of strength. I always knew that he was always there whenever I needed advise and mental strength.  A talk with him for sometime was enough to feel happy and light.



Hemanta Maharaj had just entered in his 60s. I never ever imagined that he would leave so soon and in such a way. After I heard about his accident I hoped and prayed so that he may be cured. Whenever I talked with Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratishthan about his condition,  I hoped for a better news.

But that was not God's wish.

At Hemanta Maharaj's death personally  I have lost someone who to me was a tree for a tired traveler to take rest.



6 comments:

  1. http://swami-myhomage.blogspot.in/2013/06/tribute-to-my-brother-hemanta-maharaj.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Respected Maharaj,

      Firstly let me thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading my homage to Hemanta Maharaj who meant so much to me and mentioning it at your blog. Truly speaking I do not have any words to express my feelings at his untimely death. His door was always open for any advice and guidance which were always so well thought out and so well meant and unbiased. After my parents he was my true well wisher and now he is suddenly no more. I do not know to whom I shall ask for advice and guidance the next time I need them. I truly really do not have any words to express my feelings.
      An insignificant person like me will never be able to understand why God decided to take him away so soon. His absence shall always be felt by me and so many others who came in touch with Hemanta Maharaj. He shall always live in our hearts.

      Please accept my pranam,

      Soumyadip.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely described and well written.

    Regards,

    Partha Sarathi Chakraborty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brother,

      Thank you so very much for your kind words.

      Regards,

      Soumyadip.

      Delete
  3. Dear Soumyadip,
    Thank you for writing this .. because of you i came to know about his demise. I am ex Shilpamandira student and use to be disciple of sorts. May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks brother. Do be in touch.

      Delete